Be Aware of Home Building Laws When Opting for Home Extensions

So you have finally decided to take the plunge and initiate that long postponed much dreamt of home extension project. But how do you really get it on track? Before seeing the extension taking shape and if you are a resident of Victoria, Australia, be aware of the home building laws prevalent in the state. This simple exercise will protect you from any statutory hassles in future. Start off by engaging a reputed building surveyor and a home extension builder. The top of the line ones are well conversant with the building laws and permits required and will help you with the intricate and complex paperwork.

There are basically two types of permits as laid down under Victorian Law. The first is a Planning Permit that gives permission for a plot of land to be developed including setting up boundaries and controlling the aesthetics of the building. The second is a Building Permit which is relevant if you are opting for a single and double storey extension. This can be had from a registered and accredited building surveyor who will certify that your plans and designs are in accordance with the stipulations as laid down by the local council. Construction can start only after this has been obtained. It has to be kept in mind that the onus of getting this permit lies with the house owner.

The cost of obtaining a permit depends on the degree of extensions being carried out. But this is small price to pay if the heavy fines that may be levied for non compliance is taken into account. However, there is a flip side to it. Victoria’s building laws lays down a few conditions wherein a permit is not required. For example, if the extensions do not entail major modifications on the original plan and is in keeping with the council guidelines, the requirement for permit is waived.

Once the application for permission is approved by the council, a Construction Certificate will be issued and building can start only after that.

You may also like...